Blog Entry 2


Hi everyone! This is my Blog Entry #2 and I interviewed my fellow classmate, Angelica. She is twenty-three years old, who was born here but both her parents came to the United States from Mexico. Angelica grew up only knowing Spanish because she was not introduced to English at a young age. She learned her second language, English mostly from school and also from her older siblings. When I asked her where she mostly learned English, I was surprised with her answer because she said she mostly learned at home. “Students from a minority home may find the culture of the school vastly different from the culture of their home, and the teacher may be their first contact with the social world outside the home, and their first contact with English.” (pg. 29) This caught me off guard because usually people learn English at school and her family members knew only Spanish. She said she learned from her older siblings and watching TV. What I found interesting was that she had a difficult time learning English because she was put straight into a general classroom with no bilingual teacher. So Angelica was forced to learn English but not in a pleasant way because her school had no resources. She was disobedient at school because she had no idea what her teacher was saying. Angelica mentioned a strategy that her teacher used that actually helped her was partnering her up next to a peer that was fluent in English. I asked Angelica her preference on the best way to learn English and she said through talking and communicating with other people verbally. I also asked her why was it important to her to learn English. “We live in America! Everyone here speaks English. Not only do we want to be bilingual, which is a plus but we want to learn English so we can help people and to get a job. ”With helping others, Angelica is becoming a teacher to help students that grew up like her. She has her own small group of ELL students in her mentor’s classroom. Angelica uses her bilingual advantage to help translate any confusion they may have. I also teach at the same campus she does, Dogan Elementary, where it is 65% Hispanic. “Whether you are becoming a regular classroom teacher, you are also a language teacher. As a language teacher, you share responsibility for helping your ELLs develop their proficiency in English and their ability to use oral and written English for academic purposes across content areas.” (pg. 60) I believe that as part of being bilingual, we should use our ability to support everyone’s learning experience.
            At the end, I asked her about a quote, “I’m no good at learning English.” I asked if she thought this was an attitude some people have towards learning English because of bad experience or was it because some people just lack the ability to learn. She said she thinks people lacked the ability to learn because you can learn any language as long as you try!


Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.

Comments

  1. Hi Taylor,
    Thank you for sharing your refection and the interview. They’re interesting. According to Wright (2015), "Those whose parents do not know English have a further obstacle in learning" (p. 15), or those families only speak Spanish/native language at home. It was surprising me to know that Angelica learned most of her English at home. In my point of view, her older siblings did a great job as peer teaching at home and her teacher was provided peer co-teaching at school to help Angelica’s understand and learn English. It’s so great to know about Angelica experiences and her student teaching, how she is able to use her experience/native language to help her students. I wish you and Angelica the best luck to become awesome teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Quynh!
      Thank you for your comment! I’m glad that you’ve found this video interesting. Angelica did take me by surprise saying that she learned more at home than at school because we usually assume the opposite. I think by practicing the new language at home but also relating it to your lifestyle is beneficial.

      Delete
    2. Hi Taylor!
      I also think that by practice English at home or anywhere will benefit learning second language process. In contrast to your friend, I usually do not communicate in English at home since my parents don’t know English and I'm not confident when using my second language. According to Wright (2010), “Swain argues that when learner are conversation, making an effort to produce language that the person with whom they are conversing can understand, they’re most likely to see the limits of their second language ability and the need to find better ways to get their meaning across” (Wright (2010), pg.53) Do you agree communication is a key to success in learning a second language?

      Delete
  2. Hello Taylor!
    While watching your video and reading your reflection, I also found it interesting that she learned English best at home. Being that her siblings were still learning English as well, they probably helping each other learn. Vygotsky's theory of cognitive development supports the idea for the way in which Angelica learned English. Vygotsky believed that, the way in which we learn is influenced by social and cultural forces (Snowman & McCown, 2013, p. 32). Wright (2015) also addresses this in the text when discussing the interaction hypothesis. By interacting with her siblings using English and watching television Angelica was because "learners need opportunities to interact with other speakers to reach mutual comprehension" (p.53)




    References:
    Snowman, J., & McCown, R. R. (2013). Ed psych. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Cengage Learning.

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nadia!
      Yes I agree that you can definitely learn just as much as home as you do in school! I think learning with those that we know especially in a comfortable environment helps those that are ELL to feel more confident. Not only was Angelica able to learn, she was able to teach as well.
      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. Hi Taylor,
    I really enjoyed your reflection about the interview. After watching your video I was amazed that Angelica learned English best at home. I can relate to her in some way because I also learned best speaking English with my older siblings. I felt that speaking with them, I wouldn’t feel embarrassed if I accidentally said the incorrect word. Since at school, many would make fun of either because of the misused word, and pronunciation. Angelica had a bad experience learning English in school due to low resources. This will allow Angelica to understand the students in her classroom and their background due to her experience “The more the teacher knows about a student's experiences, the more he/she can assume about expertise that students have” (Wright, 2015, p. 17). Angelica as a future teacher will have a better understanding of what her students are going through since she experiences herself. Hope Angelica can become a great teacher where she understands that sending the students in “time out” and having low resources can create a horrible experience and lack of learnings. Thank you, Taylor, for sharing your video.

    Wright, W. E. (2015). Foundations for teaching English language learners: research, theory, policy, and practice. Philadelphia: Caslon Publishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luz!
      Thank you for sharing your insight with learning a second language through your siblings. I never really thought of it that way, where you don't feel as embarrassed to mess up in English in front of them. It's because they're going through the same process as you and you could relate more. I think if more people were accepting, your process would've been more smoother without feeling judged. I think the community has a huge impact in the way we learn and how we learn.
      Thank you Luz!

      Delete

Post a Comment