Blog Entry 1

Hi! My name is Taylor Luu and I am currently a senior at the University of Houston. I am an Education Major, EC-6. I hope to teach 1st or 2nd grade.  I am Student Teaching at Dogan Elementary in HISD. I am excited to be on this journey to become an Elementary school teacher.  Thank you for checking out my blog page and I hope you are able to gain some insight about me and my passion for learning. I am also curious to hear from you as well. Thank you! 




Comments

  1. Hello Taylor,
    I really enjoyed watching your Blog 1 video. The most I found interesting was you mentioned your brother being diagnosed with Autism and your parents had to use and learn English more which disconnected your family’s language of Vietnamese. I also found it interesting that family member will visit, and they knew nothing about the Vietnamese culture. I was fascinated you went to a Vietnamese church school which made it beneficial for you when connecting with your future ELL students. You also mentioned the impact you have made in the field with your ELA students. “Teachers are encouraged to look critically at the ways language learners describe and evaluated in their schools and communities, as well a in the media, and to consider the implications of these labeling practices” (Wright, 2015, pg. 6).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angelita!
      Thank you so much for taking your time and watching my video! I did have a hard time learning my language and through those (learning) experiences, I could motivate myself to become a better teachers for those that are ELLs in my future classroom! I could think of so many ways my vietnamese teacher could've improved on in the classroom, like the learning environment, not being too repetitive etc. By being a new language learner myself I feel like I am better at understanding the struggle of learning a language, so as a future teacher I want it to be looked good upon not frowned upon when learning a new language. Thank you for commenting on my blog!

      Delete
    2. Hello Taylor,
      Its hard to imagine you had a difficult time and experiences. I imagine when watching your blog 1, you would have had an excellent time and experience. I am so humble to hear you developed the motivation to get you through those tough times. I truly believe your motivation will help you with your ELL student in motivating them to continue through their struggles. Motivation is one element needed when learning a new language.

      Delete
  2. Hi Taylor
    I really enjoy watching your blog 1 video. Something catches my attention is that I have an older cousin who was diagnosed with autism when he was little too and his parents also have to learn English to communicate with him. I really enjoy hearing you talk about how your Vietnamese church school experience, I totally understand how you felt about that. “The U.S. Census Bureau identified 381 different languages spoken in home across the country in 2011” (Wright, 2015, pg. 18) I think is really nice to know how to spoke 3 different languages, this is great opportunity to help ELL student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Thank you for taking time out to watch my blog! Yes, having a family member that is autistic is also a different type of language learning experience. I found it beneficial though because I was submerged into a world where language and connecting is so important. I hope one day that parents do not stop their kids from learning a new language or regaining back an old language. I can now take this into my future classroom and help ELLs students and understand their journey of learning. Thank you again for the comment and I hope to hear from you again soon!

      Delete
  3. Hello Taylor,
    I really enjoyed watching your first blog and am very surprised that you know three languages. I admire you for taking the risk of learning new languages since it is not an easy transition. I also think your parents did an amazing job in making you attend every Saturday to attend church school. It made you develop the necessary knowledge to help others and understand the process of learning a new language. I believe that being unique and knowing two or even three different languages can open multiple opportunities in the United States. “ When ESL and content instruction in English pressure students to replace or demote the home language, subtractive bilingualism may occur”. (Wright P.22) Many people who come from other countries feel the need to leave their native language and adopt the English language. I also have family members that are born in another country and forgot about their first language. Thank you, for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luz! Thank you for commenting on my blog! I'm glad that we both learned more about our native language and are able to implement it back into our classroom with other ELLs students. I think it's a great quality to know more than one language especially in the education field with a diverse group of kids, we're more likely to be able to at least connect with one of them. We can both understand the process of learning a new language so by taking this course it made me realize how valuable it is to be bilingual in something. Thank you for watching and I can't wait to hear more about you!

      Delete
  4. Hi Taylor,
    I enjoyed watching your video entry for blog 1, I find your journey of learning Vietnamese and English very fascinating. I come for a household only speaking and knowing English and I have always wanted to try and learn a different language but I never really set myself to do so. I love how you set your goals with learning new languages that is truly inspiring. According to Wright, " When ESL and content instruction in English pressure students to replace or demote the home language, subtractive bilingualism may occur” (P.22). I feel as if since your parents made you go to the Vietnamese school on Saturdays that it could of made you not as interested in learning the language. I was in a sorority also I was in Zeta Tau Alpha, and like you said being in a sorority shows you all about the different cultures. I learned about all the diversity in my sorority and gained such a bond with all the ladies in it. Thank you for sharing your video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily!
      It was great getting to know more about you and reading that you're also in a sorority as well! I agree with the quote that you used because I did feel like I was pressured to choose a preferred language over another. I felt that I had to choose English because it was most beneficial for me at the moment. But I am grateful that my parents decided to put me in Vietnamese school so I regained back what I thought I lost. I think you should definitely venture out and explore another language because it really is a fun experience! Thank you for watching and commenting on my blog!

      Delete
  5. Hi Taylor! I found it fascinating how you said that when you were younger you spoke mostly Vietnamese at home and English at school, but began to prefer English. Your time in Saturday school learning Vietnamese sounds very interesting and it’s great how it benefited both you and your parents. I think it’s great how much you have learned about different cultures and giving back through your sorority. Wright states, “Teachers also need to know about their students’ cultural backgrounds and how culture influences learning at school” (2015, p.17). Being able to support ELLs in our classroom by also encouraging them to embrace their own culture is a goal of mine as well. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daijah!
      I think that it's important to embrace and encourage diversity in all future classrooms. By learning about the different cultures other students are able to gain insight about other ELLs and it'll be a smoother entrance for those learning a new language because they have support from others! It's crazy how kids can learn a whole new language at such a young age because they're mini sponges so I feel like this is an important time for them in their language growth. I hope to encourage my students in the future to challenge themselves and to join many clubs/organizations to gain more insight about others as well! Thank you for commenting on my blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry 2