Blog Entry 4
Upon
enrolling into this course, I thought this was just any other second language
class that will teach us about diversity in a classroom. I assumed that I had
some background knowledge on this because I am an English language learner
myself when I was younger. Once I started interviewing, observing, studying,
watching blogs, and researching I came to realize that I barely knew the
foundation of what it actually takes to teach, assess, and understand English
Language Learners. I learned about different accommodations, or modifications
are intended for English language learners so it could make up for a student’s
lack of proficiency in the language, like giving them extra time, oral
interpretation of directions, or have the native language version of the test.
I also learned about additive bilingualism, this is very important all around
to me and also to other ELL teachers that I interviewed as well, it’s important
to make sure that English is added to the student’s language instead of
replacing their native language. In this course, I’ve learned the very
importance of keeping both languages because it is hard sometimes to be in a
classroom and forced to only speak in one language. That was what happened to
me, sadly, I am not as fluent in Vietnamese as I was about ten years ago. Even
when I was in a Spanish classroom in high school, I remembered learning English
but I did not notice the intention or research behind how the Spanish Classroom
worked. I did not notice the word walls, the repetition of words, and grammar
rules.
There are
many different English language learners in the world today compared to America
years ago. Different strategies and techniques have evolved from good amount of
research and practices. At first, I thought all ELL were similar and that all
they really need to do was learn English, but that is not how it is at all. All
ELL students do not learn in the same way. In order to reach all your ELL students,
you must get their background, history, and do your research to see what would
work best for them. Once you see where they are coming from then you can
implement those methods in the classroom. Teachers have to keep in mind that
not only do the ELL students have to learn content and knowledge but they also
have to learn a whole another language and some of these student’s parents
might not even know or understand English either. That is why it is very ideal
and important to provide differentiated instruction so it could reach all your
student’s needs, some strategies such as visual aid, graphic organizers,
slowing down your speech, annunciating certain sounds, conversation, peer
teaching, and one-on-one interaction.
Second
language methodology, has affected my teaching philosophy in a way where I am
definitely more open minded. Since I do teach at a Title One Elementary school
that consist of 90% Hispanics, I could connect what I learn in this course to
my actual student teaching. This course has taught me not only about ELL
students, but also about ALL students. Each and every student learn differently
and it is our goal and duty as a future educator that we are able to give them
the knowledge that they need to be successful in school and in the future. Even
if we’re dying to teach the same old method, sometimes teaching a new method
could even make our life a struggle, it is even more rewarding to see their
faces light up knowing that what we taught them actually clicked in their
minds.
The blogs
was very helpful for me and interactive. I liked to keep up with my fellow
classmates and listen and watch their journey. I was able to get insight on
different ELL teacher’s teachings and philosophies. I loved to learn what method
worked or did not work for them in the classroom. Overall, the course was
informative and I found myself talking about what I learned in this class to
other teachers at school.
Taylor, your reflection on this course was very similar to my thoughts. A lot of teachers fail to realize that you don’t necessarily have to go out of your way to help ELLs in their class. Like you mentioned, many strategies and teaching methods are beneficial to all students and not just ELLs. For example, “all students differ in terms of prior knowledge, academic proficiency, learning styles, and sociocultural background” and that is why teachers shouldn’t provide the exact same materials for all students (Wright, 2015, p. 264). Differentiation in a classroom allows for the teacher to tailor the instruction to meet the unique needs of all of their students and that is something that we can all use in our future classrooms. That is why I like how you mentioned the various strategies that you plan on incorporating in your future class. Good luck in your future, I’m sure you’ll be an excellent teacher.
ReplyDeleteHello Angelica! Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments! Upon enrolling into this course, I’ve always been a little hesitant when planning differentiating instruction methods. I grew to learn that it is all about getting to know your students and planning upon that. Even though we do have to go out of our way, it’ll be worth it at the end when ALL students actually grasp the concept at the end. Good luck to you as well in all your future endeavors!
DeleteYou mentioned how some students' parents might not even know or understand English, and how important it is to be able to keep both languages. When it comes to the role parents play in their child's education, particularly in regards to the parents of our ELLs who may not understand a lick of English, how do you plan on making these parents feel connected to their child's academic growth? What could you do to help ensure that learning still occurs at home for ELLs in their native tongue? This is something that I have been reflecting on because I feel that a big component to teaching English language learners is to make sure their parents are actively involved, regardless of the language they speak.
ReplyDeleteHey Maggie!
DeleteI completely agree with what you’re saying! We keep thinking about our students in the classroom but we also have to know that they spend majority of their time at home as well! I think a way I would connect with the parents is through translating what the students are learning each week so the parents are in the loop. I would also send home activities with the students, where the parents could work on it with their child as well. Maybe the child could teach their parents a thing or two from what they’ve learned. Thank you for your comment!
ReplyDeleteHello Taylor,
Thank you for sharing your blog with the class. I completely relate to you being an ELL student. I also learned about the different types of ELL students. I think that it is so important to be familiar with them and plan instruction according to their needs. You mentioned something that stuck with me through this class and that is that we should make it our goal to maintain the student’s home language while they learn English. I think that this is so important because a lot of educators focus solely on teaching English and forget a student’s culture. We should strive to celebrate diversity in the classroom. Thank you for sharing your blog.
Hello Yerali!
DeleteYES, I believe maintaining a student’s native language is so special in all sorts of aspects. In their personal, social, intellectual, educational, and economic aspects! The student’s first language is critical to their identity. This allows the student to value their culture, which helps them have a more positive self image about their heritage. Socially, if the student forgets their home language then they might lose the important link to family and their community members. Intellectually, these students are gaining knowledge on BOTH languages not just one. Educationally, the students are able to help their peers around them. Economically, better employment opportunities in this country when you know more than one language! There are so many benefits for keeping the native language alive. Thank you for your comment!
Hi Taylor,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your learnings throughout the course. I as well can relate many of your learnings that was gained in this course. I as well learned how to accommodate the students and be able to create lesson plans that are appropriately well developed to meet the student's needs. I believe that the use of the creating an effective lesson plan should be used for all students as well Ells/ESL and in an all English mainstream class. As you mentioned not all students learn the same and come from the same background so, s educators we have to be able to accommodate them in our classroom to create a good learning environment for the students. “all students differ in terms of prior knowledge, academic proficiency, learning styles, and sociocultural background” (Wright, 2015, p. 264). Students will come into the classroom with different levels of knowledge and as an educator, you are there to be able to accommodate in the best way possible. During the course it did gave us great information when dealing with different ELLs students which will be beneficial for our future career. Thank you, Taylor for sharing your blogs, and comments throughout the semester.
Hello Luz!
DeleteI know we both are currently student teaching at Dogan, so we were definitely able to gain insight on what effective differentiating instruction could do and how it makes such a huge difference in our students. I was able to not only teach them, but I was able to give them insight on how I learned when I was in their shoes. I think this really helped me connect with my students in a way where I told them I was in their situation a long time ago. I tailored my instruction where I did not dumb it down, but made it to where I connected it to their life. Thank you for your encouraging comments throughout the semester! GOOD LUCK in all your future endeavors.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete