BLOG ENTRY i & ii

BLOG ENTRY 1 PROMPT
Is teaching what you thought it would be?

Teaching is definitely not what I thought it would be. It's not all rainbow and glitter. I remember when I first started I expected to be placed in 1st or 2nd grade, but then I got placed in 4th grade ELA. It was completely the opposite of what I wanted, but I thought to myself if I can do this grade level I can do any grade level... I was definitely wrong. The teaching throughout the different grade level is unique in their own way. I have more arts and crafts and creative teaching style. There were times where I felt defeated, overwhelmed, and alone. I felt like everybody was at a steady pace and there were moments where I felt discouraged because I felt like I did not reach every single student in my class. When I was placed at Dogan Elementary, which was a Title one school, I was out of my comfort zone because I was raised at a whole different socioeconomic level. Through this experience, it allowed me to challenge myself and take a risk. I came out of my shell and put myself out there. I had to keep reassuring myself that it gets better and sometimes we make mistakes, and so do our students. There was a quote I always kept in my head that my dad passed down to me, "Always leave the world at a better place than when you found it." I learned not to be so hard on myself. Teaching was not at all what I thought it would be, it actually came out to be better than I thought. Not only did I teach my students, but I also taught myself. Teaching is an art that few people have the patience for and I wouldn't change my experience for anything. I am thankful that the College of Education made me come out of my comfort zone and appreciate ALL grade levels and subjects.

BLOG ENTRY 3 PROMPT

a. Which in the list would you consider your strength? Why
I would definitely say my strength is my confidence. I have always been more of an extrovert where I love to exert energy wherever I am. I believe if you feel confident, you will be confident and it shows in your body language, the way you speak, and the way you interact with others. I've always been social especially in my involvement on the University of Houston campus. I am blessed to be surrounded by people that support and uplift me and I hope one day I can exert that same energy to my co-workers, students, and in my teachings.
b. Which in the list needs a little work? How could you address this?
Sometimes my strength could also be my weakness. Sometimes I believe that I have it all, but sometimes I overthink it too much. I feel like I might take on too much because I believe I can do it and I need to be able to ask for help.
c. Is there anything missing from the list that you would add?
I really liked this article and there is nothing I would add because I believe all the points go hand in hand with one another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Entry 2